Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Reality Check in a Good Way

I made the statement today, twice in fact, that I have put over $9k in my savings account during the last year. That's about a quarter of my income too. I didn't realize the impact of my statement until I said it the second time, and mentally added that I was also debt free.* I'm stunning myself with my own progress, even though I make mistakes and wobble from time to time. $9k saved in a year is a Lot. Of. Money! Unfortunately, not all that money is still in my savings account. 2.76k went to pay off a credit card, but it earned a wee bit of interest before it did that. Another 3.26k has gone to specific kid expenses (for which I had planned and put money into savings).

Wow... I needed this kind of reality check. I get frustrated now and then with my guilt about lack of self-control over unplanned purchases, regardless of how small. And the near-constant penny pinching, while sometimes an enjoyable creative challenge, also has a tendency to wear me down. I mean, there are days I just wanna spend it ALL... and still restrain myself. So it's been eye-opening (ear-opening?) to hear those words hang in the air and know what they really mean. It gives my lunchtime PBJ and apple new grandeur, frankly.

Now... if I can just see some wonderful things in the arenas of weight-loss and smoking, I'll be feeling like a sexy wealthy healthy hot chick... instead of just a wealthy chick. I want it all!

Now... for the reason we're all here:

Monday's Wallet

  • $34.99 online dating
  • 7.38 smokes
Yes, I'm pathetic, please don't rub it in. I agreed with myself to try this dating site for one month and if I have some success I'll get a cheaper/month and longer subscription. At the moment though, I'm thinking that won't be the case. It's only been about a week that I've been a subscriber and already I find myself getting anxious about the lack of success. One plus is that I've made a new friend. One guy that cropped up happens to work for the same folks I do, though in a different department and building. He rejected me SO sweetly, that I can't help but have more respect for him, so I asked if we could be friends. There's an honest to goodness chance that I'll run into him somewhere on campus and wouldn't that be awkward if I had said mean things to him after his gentle and polite no-thank-you?

Tuesday's Wallet

  • $2.?? Chocolate dessert

I almost didn't remember this purchase... and it wasn't worth it, frankly. Sure was pretty though. Chocolate crust, chocolate cheesecake, whipped cream, and chocolate icing, each layered very neatly and served ... in the round? It was a column o' goodness anyway. I should have taken a picture, I guess. *Debt free: Not completely true. I currently have a $400 balance on one credit card and about $2,500 left on my car. Both will be completely paid off by September 11, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment